Check back to get information about
our next session of Parenting Today’s Teens, back by popular demand!
Are you raising a teen between the ages of 11 and 18, or looking forward to those years? Do you work with teens — or want to?
This 9-week series of classes and workshops is created just for you!
Mark Gregston, counselor and founder of Heartlight Ministries, created this DVD- and workbook-based seminar for parents to provide proven strategies for creating and maintaining an open, loving, and honest relationship with your teenager — no matter how far into the teen years he or she is.
Watch this video testimonial from Rick Provost, a Dad who took part in our last Parenting Today’s Teens workshop:
Our last session of “Dealing with Today’s Teens” classes began on January 28th, 2014, and was held on Tuesday evenings for 9 weeks. Classes ran from 7:00-8:30 pm and at West Bay Christian Academy, 475 School Street in North Kingstown, Rhode Island.
The registration cost was $30.00, which included the workbook for the class. (Note: Both parents can attend for $30 and share the workbook.)
Lesson 1 – Understanding Your Teen’s Needs
- Creating an Arena for Healthy Relationships That Meets Their Longing for Security
- They’re Entitled and Overindulged on Many Levels
- They’re Less Mature than Past Generations
- Really, They Want It All
- When Parenting Moves to Peerenting
- They Long for Significance and Security
- Creating an Arena for Healthy Relationships
- Committing to Not Disengage
Lesson 2 – Understanding Your Parenting Role
- Understanding Your Role in Parenting Your Teen
- Understanding Their Changing Perceptions
- My Child’s Relational Style
- Embracing Your Teen
- Offering Rest for Their Soul
- Being Who God Has Called You To Be
Lesson 3 – Understanding Your Teen’s Behavior
- Why Do Teens Do What they do?
- Their Behavior is Goal Oriented
- Your Child’s Needs
- Determining Factors in your Child’s Understanding of Needs
- Establishing Boundaries
Lesson 4 – Understanding Your Relationship
- When A Child’s Behavior Doesn’t Determine Their Behavior
- Does Bad Behavior Necessarily Equal a Bad Kid?
- When Value Isn’t Determined by Behavior
- Loving Your Child Unconditionally
- When a Child Fails
- Providing a Way of Restoration
- When Expectations Become the Standard and Alienate the Child
Lesson 5 – Understanding the Purpose of Pain
- How Pain Leads us to God’s Blessing
- Pain Causes us to Examine Our Circumstances
- Pain Appears at Predictable Moments
- Ways to Avoid Pain
- The Godly Results of Facing Pain
- When Protecting Becomes Enabling
Lesson 6 – Developing Boundaries For Your Teen
- Setting Parameters that Guide and Direct A Child
- Boundaries Define Us
- Boundaries Help us Set Our Priorities
- Directing Our Child’s Path
Lesson 7 – Understanding the Roots of Discipline
- Putting Rules and Consequences Into Effect
- Establishing Policies and Procedures Where There Were None
- Determining Your Beliefs
- Communicating the Rules
- Agreeing on the Consequences
Lesson 8– Issues of Control
- Helping a Child Make Decisions and Choices
- Who Is in Control?
- The Motivation for Control
- Under And Over Control
- Handing Over Control
- Lack of Limits and Wrong Decisions
Sponsored by House of Hope Rhode Island
Email House of Hope Rhode Island or call 401-378-6050 for more information.
Thank-you for your tax-deductible donation to the ministry of House of Hope Rhode Island!
Donate to House of Hope Rhode Island: